Drug & Alcohol Screening Services
Drug and Alcohol use can have a significant effect on performance, concentration and alertness. Which is why more and more employers are adopting a robust drug & alcohol policy both for their employees wellbeing and for the company as a whole, reducing the risk of accidents and the cost of absenteeism.
- Approximately 5% of the UK’s working population actively use drugs.
- Estimates that between 3% and 5% of all work absences are due to alcohol, which cost the UK economy nearly £2 billion a year.
- Among workers under 30 years old 1 in 4 reported having used drugs in the previous year.
- It is evident that those in employment (particularly office workers) are more likely to drink during the week and also to a greater extent than those who are unemployed.
- An estimated 1.5 million people are addicted to prescription and over-the-counter drugs in the UK.
What can employers do?
- Under the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 employers have a duty of care to ensure the health, safety and welfare at work of their employees.
- The HSE advise employers to have a robust Alcohol and Drug use Policy in place in order to comply with legislation and guidance.
- Managers and supervisors should be trained to identify the signs of potential drug or alcohol misuse. They should know what to do if they either suspect a problem or they are approached by an employee who declares a problem.
- Drug and alcohol problems should be treated as sickness or capability and not disciplinary, issues.
- Good policy communication by employers to employees and at the recruitment stage is essential.
What we can offer
Staywell’s associated specialist D & A screening company provide legally defensible chain of custody screening and confirmation testing across the UK. The complete testing process is carried out in accordance with legal requirements and by fully trained professionals:
- Sample collection
- Chain of custody
- Test results
- Reporting within a specified time
- Testimony in a tribunal
We can arrange testing at a location of your choice on either a:
- Scheduled basis
- Random Basis
- For cause
Beyond the provision of testing and delivery of result, we can provide a full supporting service making the whole process effortless:
- We can advise on policy development and professionally review your Drug & Alcohol Policy in accordance with the current guidelines
- Provide background checks that can help mitigate personnel related risks.
- Provide substance misuse and policy awareness training to ensure that you and your team are fully prepared to manage your drug and alcohol procedures.