What are your legal duties as an employer?
Lung function tests are mandatory in any industry where their workforces are exposed to hazardous substances that contain acknowledged respiratory sensitizers. Testing should also be performed on employees who are potentially exposed to irritant dusts, gases and vapours in the workplace.
A lung function test aims to detect early lung damage from exposure to respiratory sensitizers from activities such as:
- Airborne dust on construction sites
- Isocyanates found in two-pack paint sprays
- Jack hammering bitumen in roadwork’s
- Wearing powdered natural latex gloves
- Dusty roofs from laying insulation